Born in 1974, Om Swami is a Mumbai-based artist who studied at Raheja College. He is a self-taught artist whose works are renowned for their fluidity and the movements of its subjects.
Om’s paintings showcase human emotions like love and sensuality with bold, thick strokes thus evoking a deep emotional response in the viewer. The ‘she’ highlighted in his paintings is a comprehensive revision of certain traditional aspects – the archaic woman, who has been a part of the human consciousness for eons. Om believes that man and woman are incomplete in themselves, they are fragments of a single whole, healthy only in close togetherness. When united, the whole is extraordinary and unearthly – a union of bodies, spirits, music.
For this reason, his paintings of “Couples” have no eyes – because he is involved more with the character of the subjects than their individual features. His oils and acrylics are painted in bright vibrant colours and even though no movement is depicted one can feel the energy within each painting, like the flow from a subconscious mind.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- “Divine Sutra”, Jehangir Art Gallery &Cymroza Art Gallery, Mumbai (2014)
- “Love Sutra the AntimSatya”, Jehangir Art Gallery Mumbai, (2009)
- “SatvaSwada”, Gallery G, Bangalore (2009)
- “Pan Ecstasy”, Gallery Hues, Bangalore (2007)
- “11 days of Ganesha”, Ray Art Gallery, Pune (2007)
- “Love Unlimited”, Artist Centre Art Gallery (2006) and Nehru Art Gallery, Mumbai (2005)
- “Love Unlimited 1”, Charisma Art Gallery, Pune (2004)
- Leela Art Gallery, Mumbai (2003)
Selected Group Exhibitions
- “Bold and Beautiful”, Art Zest Art Gallery, Dubai (2012-2014)
- Gallery Nyva, New Delhi (2013)
- Artistree Art Gallery, Mumbai (2013)
- Art Summit, New Delhi (2010-2013)
- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh Art Show in Dhaka, Bangladesh (2012)
- “Have a heart, Save a heart”, charity show with the Rotary Club and Amaya Art, Bangalore (2012)
- 9th Annual Show at Gallery G, Bangalore (2012)
- “Visual Polyphony”, Cymroza Art Gallery, Mumbai (2012, 2010, 2009)
- India Art Collective, New Delhi (2011)
- Gallery G, Houston (2008)
- Amaya Art, London (2007)