Nitin Dadrawala was born in Chinchani, Maharashtra in 1955. He received his M.A. from Bombay University in 1978 and went on to receive a scholarship from the Indian Council for Cultural Relations in 1994 to attend an exhibition in Amsterdam and a senior fellowship in Visual Art (1998-99) from the Department of Culture of the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
In the words of the artist; “My paintings are the images of the nature. It is a honest attempt to paint the experiences and images deep in my subconscious mind which are concrete because, they are part of my life; my existence, my thinking process.
My approach towards the nature is with an inbuilt structure. Space in my painting is divided by a sharp line of horizon. The interaction between myself, paper and material go together. I am simplifying the form by using brushstrokes which represent the enigmatic images of structure in nature seen around for years.The inbuilt tension between the forms, colours and texture fascinates me. The layers of colours which I use, result into simple harmony which is my language of painting.
This way painting might be seen as reduced to being only carrier of any possible idea. Transformation of nature turns to ‘My Nature’ which comes with total silence or peace in the painting. My painting is progressing towards the metamorphosis of nature into artwork in its purest form. So it remains in its ‘abstract’ form.”
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai (2014)
- The Luxury Company, Hacienda Art Gallery, Mumbai (2012, 2007, 2006)
- The Luxury Company, Museum Art Gallery, Mumbai (2009)
- The Luxury Company, Ishanya Art Gallery, Pune (2008)
- Majlis Art Gallery, Dubai (2012, 2008)
- GalerieSchoo, Foundation for Indian Artists, Amsterdam, Holland (1994)
Selected Group Exhibitions
- United Art Fair, New Delhi (2013)
- Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai by International Creative Art Centre (2012)
- “Let There Be Light”, Hacienda Art Gallery, Mumbai (2011)
- “Cardology”, Hacienda Art Gallery, Mumbai (2009)
- Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai (2006, 1997, 1993, 1992)
- Amaya Art, London (2006)
- Lalit Kala’s Annual National Exhibition, Kerala (2004)
- Abstract Contemporary Indian Art Show, Gallery Art Motif, New Delhi (2001)
- Gallery 7, Hong Kong (1994)