Harisadhan was born in 1982 in the sea side Bengali village of Kakdwip. He got his Diploma in Art Education at the Academy of Fine Arts (Calcutta) in 2000 before graduating from the Government College of Art and Craft (Calcutta) in 2004.
The colourful open air drama of his younger years in Kakdwip, the religious and social rituals, the shrines of the village, the famous gathering of the Gangasagar Mela have all found their way into his paintings. Chiaroscuro of nature, human form, expression, emotion, feelings and nostalgic images of old Calcutta have also always inspired him and taken an important place in his paintings.
In his words: “In art, the visually perceived world can bring out the inner image or the idea of the figure, carried beyond the ordinary vision. The physical reflection of one’s inner self is reflected through the face. So the face with different expressions like peace, tranquillity, innocence is always a great source of inspiration for his paintings.” Harisadhan’s paintings are not situational narrative ones but are steeped in his own visual language and transferred directly onto his canvas. His work suggests love for tradition and rediscovering our own roots.
Harisadhan Dey lives and works in Calcutta.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- ICA Gallery, Jaipur (2011)
- Renaissance Gallerie, Bangalore (2010)
- Halo Heritage Art Gallery, Calcutta (2008)
- Vision Art Gallery, Pune (2007)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore (2006)
- World Trade Centre, Mumbai (2005)
Selected Group Exhibitions
Harisadhan has participated in many Art Camps and Group shows organised by galleries in Calcutta, Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune, including
- Academy of Fine Arts in Calcutta
- Government College of Art and Craft in Kolkata
- Mahua Art Gallery in Bangalore
- Amaya Art Gallery in Bangalore and London
- Art Line Gallery in Calcutta
- Art Club in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Samanvai Art Gallery in Jaipur
- Birla Academy of Art & Culture in Calcutta
- Lalit Kala Academy in New Delhi and Calcutta.