Born in 1972 in Hyderabad, Aasha Radhika is a self-trained artist (she graduated in English literature) who continues to work with the State Bank of India while painting in her spare time. “My father taught me that I needed to be economically independent to pursue my passion (for art) – so I put that first while simultaneously teaching myself to paint with guidance from Srinivas Chary,” she explains.Her works are largely egg tempera or acrylic on canvas, and is best known for her use of light colours and lots of textures in her paintings.
The female gender has a very special placein Aasha’s works and she takes inspiration from the women in her life.Aasha describes her paintings as ‘semi-conscious imagery’ – her paintings are mainly of women and contain a lot of flower and bird motifs rendered in delicate stokes and colours.Posted at a rural branch of the State Bank of India, her paintings have recently shown a rural influence. “The women I come to contact with on the job are very determined and hard working and they have been an inspiration for me.”
Aasha has held solo exhibitions across India and also in Texas and California in America. She was the recipient of the 7th Andhra Pradesh State Level Art Award (2003) and also received a Highly Commendable Certificate from Hyderabad Art Society (2002).
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Daira Centre for Arts and Culture, Hyderabad (2013)
- M.S.University of Baroda (2011)
- Kalakrithi Art Gallery, Hyderabad (2011, 2007)
- Minaaz Art Gallery, Hyderabad (2009, 2005)
- Museum Art Gallery, Mumbai (2008)
- AmayaArt Gallery, Bangalore (2008)
- Ray Art Gallery, Pune (2008)
- Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai (2008)
- Alankritha Art Gallery, Hyderabad (2006)
- Lakshana Art Gallery, Chennai (2004)
- Shrishti Art Gallery, Hyderabad (2004) .
- Fondren Library Gallery, Rice University, Houston USA (2003)
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, Houston USA (2003)
- 14thTANA Meet at San Jose, California, USA (2003)
Aasha was also an artist in residence at the Kalakrithi Art Gallery, Hyderabad in 2004.